Thread: Dear Esther

My Mood
    Blah
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Dear Esther

Dear Esther has just been released on Steam. I dl it last night and was just blown away.

*NB* This is not a PC game as such (you cannot interact with anything) but has elements in it that are sorely missing from most AA games; atmosphere, an amazing soundtrack and hauntingly poetic storytelling.

I finished it in one sitting which didn't take much more than pressing W to walk around and the mouse to direct my gaze at the outstanding graphics. Based in the Hebridean islands the landscape resembles the Scottish Highlands and captures the atmosphere of the landscape perfectly. The weather, vegetation, environmental sounds and breathtaking geology of the island amount to a depth of realism I have never encountered in a game. Coupled with the rather cryptic and dreamlike narration that randomly pops up as you search the different areas open to you on the Island, Dear Esther is quite simply a demonstration of how fantasy games should be made. Of course its not a game in the traditional sense as there is no real interaction. However, the elements that are neccessary to create the level of immersion we desire are rarely in the interaction and rely heavily on those that Dear Esther has concentrated on: Sound, Vision, atmosphere, storytelling.

If your sole premise for playing games is to beat someone/ something at a challenge then this is probably not for you. However, if like me, you are aficionado of PC games then this is a must see.

There were at least 3 occasions that my jaw dropped at the sheer beauty of what they created here. Simply amazing!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bobby t Bruce For This Useful Post:

Cypher (16-02-2012), Happy MOOSE (16-02-2012)

balOOn

well funny enought i just have it downoaded yesterday and im about to go for it tomorrow let you know
    ive heard only good things about it

Admin  
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Dead
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Konan-Tenshi

do you think, you could provide us with some screenies and such for the lazy bums here?

otherwise, nice review, but I'd like a bit more, what do you do in the game, what is it about etc etc

My Mood
    Blah
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bobby t Bruce For This Useful Post:

mandown (17-02-2012)

Admin  
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Dead
    Thanks