Thread: The ARMA server

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,373 Times in 605 Posts
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default The ARMA server

I am considering shutting down the NiF Invade & Annex ARMA server.

I have a few reasons for this:
    Firstly - The main reason being the server rank has plummeted to an all time low because so few play on it, the reasons for that could ofcause be many and should maybe be descussed in a thread of it’s own.
    Secondly - It takes a considerably amount of free time fixing stuff (even simple things, me being a noob and all that).
    Thirdly - Even I don’t enjoy playing on the server as much as I used to in the beginning. Sadly I enjoy it the most when I’m alone on it. I feel like the only thing I do with other players on is running around reviveing them or flying transport.

Don’t get me wrong I love playing ARMA it’s one of the most versatile games out there with millions of possibilities and I enjoy fixing stuff and keeping the NiF version of Invade & Annex up to date, but I think something has got to change if I am to find the motivation to keep it running. I gladly pay the bills they have nothing to do with this.

To start with, when the new “Marksman DLC” is released I think I’m getting rid of the “EricJ Weapons Pack” that is one single thing that takes up a lot of time fixing and keeping it up to date. I’m also considering trying to set up a new PvP “End Game” server that shouldn’t take up to much of my time since it’s not a mod like Invade & Annex. My only fear is that a PvP server will attract hackers/cheaters which is something we have not seen on the I & A server.

Any who your thoughts please.
    Last edited by mOOnster; 16-03-2015 at 04:25 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mOOnster For This Useful Post:

Bobby t Bruce (18-03-2015), Happy MOOSE (19-03-2015), redrum (17-03-2015)

My Mood
    Horny
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Gamer IDs

XFIRE ID: richardvisser79 Steam ID: sirredrum

i would like to play more sir.
    just need to learn it :-)

If all fools could fly, the sun would be eclipsed forever!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to redrum For This Useful Post:

mOOnster (17-03-2015)

NiF.Member
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

It is very sad that u are considering shuting it down, it is the best invade server I have played on and stuck to it no matter how noobish the players were, It has also been my only motivation to join the nif clan and making few head damaged friends like myself. I am all up for a change but would like to keep the AI version as pvp will ruin the whole concept of invade and will move towards battlefield - snipers, campers, air and vehicle battles, there will be no more need for infantry and will ruin game play for many who just like to go in on foot and kill stuff.
    the running around reviving ppl comes down to noob rush players (bit like me, but I'm getting better ) and not being in the same squad that your friends are. thus u cant see their movement and lack of chain of command in the squad. we cant all lead and expect to get good results.
    maybe consider a different game mode (something similar preferably wit AI) but shutting down NiF arma or running PvP is not something I would like to see.
    There is my opinion and input, hope more ppl will share same view as mine and support Daniel to keep the arma server running and maybe through some changes.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to smiley For This Useful Post:

mOOnster (17-03-2015)

My Mood
    Amazed
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: summosteve

i too dont want to see the server shuting down, and i agree with what smiley has put, but i do see daniels point of the 1 man army as i do get fed up sometimes so i just go and do my own thing. but i would like more TEAM work and more comunications within the nif clan. and ive not been on much due to too much work but thats coming to an end so will be active more very soon

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to summosteve For This Useful Post:

mOOnster (18-03-2015), redrum (18-03-2015)

My Mood
    Relaxed
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Honestly the idea of shutting the server down is not in my likings at all. This is mainly to the fact that I like playing cooperatively. But I do see the slight potential in PvP as it may boost the reality that Arma has to offer. We will be able to see more roles such as Snipers and Covert Ops going on in order to catch the enemy off guard and that may add to a larger diversity and non-linear gameplay. As we all know, it does get annoying that there is only so much we can do with the AI but the real players can flip the situation greatly and in order to beat their arses we would need to work as a team So yeah to sum up, shutting the server is a bad idea but the PvP deffinately has some potential but hey for all I know we might get extremely retarded players who will completely destroy the purpose of gameplay We can always try it out I guess
    I can promise you that we will get there but I cant promise you it will be in one piece. xD

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sgt. Jakubowski For This Useful Post:

mOOnster (19-03-2015)

Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Fiendish
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,825 Times in 837 Posts
    Downloads
    Uploads

I hear you bro and I'll support whatever decision you make.

Haven't played the game for over a week until 2 day, mostly because the one man Rambo type of gameplay gets boring pretty fast. Really miss some good team play and team work. We have always had a laid back approach to ARMA in letting ppl do their thing without getting kicked, and I guess thats a big part of the reason the server is what it is today, but we could probably do with some degree of bossing player around and hopefully get a bit more team play going.

One major problem there is that as soon as we get about 10 players on the in game voice turns into utter crap. No point in trying to issue commands/orders when all you will hear clicking noises.
    Last edited by Happy MOOSE; 18-03-2015 at 09:58 PM.
    It's open season for MOOSE !

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy MOOSE For This Useful Post:

mOOnster (19-03-2015)

Admin  
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Dead
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Konan-Tenshi

The few times I popped online I really like the amount of communication and teamwork that has been going on during my visits.

I do understand what you talk about. Whenever I play it feels like if moose doesn't pick me up after I die he's been betraying the whole team by not sitting afk in a helicopter waiting for losers like me to review and run in to die again.
    As many has voiced. I support your decision. Maybe look into a smaller map or other solution to avoid the transportation situation that can occure.

And on PvP. I've acctually only been Roleplaying and playing on our server so I ahve no idea about any of those.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mandown For This Useful Post:

mOOnster (19-03-2015)